...funny thing about mourning the loss of a loved one is that the funeral really isn't completely about the person who has died...I believe...in all honesty that the funeral is for those of us left behind...something to keep us busy as grief sets in it's grip on our lives...the living...
03-31-06
On behalf of Dad...Mom and I would like to thank everyone for coming...Dad wasn't big on funerals so here we are...remembering him with a memorial...not something we had planned this weekend...but then who ever does...Dad left us suddenly on Wednesday...and while we know that he didn't suffer...none of us were ready to say good bye...and while the truth is that we probably never would have been ready...every one's support this week has made a world of difference...for that we thank you all...
Dad was a family man...a hard working man...and to know him was loving him...simple as that...if you knew him chances are your learned something from him...his personality was contagious...he just had a way about him...he was a role model for my 28 years and I'd imagine some of you feel the same way...While I grew up in a large family...growing up as an only child you initially feel isolated...2 against 1...mom and dad...they were a hard pair to divide and conquer...but a task a 5 year old boy was always willing to take on...as the years past...things changed...the parents and son became more than just a family...they became friends...something that truthfully doesn't happen as much as it should...that is a testament to my parents relationship...they loved and cared for each other for 41 years...
I would tease Dad...41 years..."that's a long time...how do you do it that long"...he would smile and say something like "one day at a time," truth was he loved mom more and more everyday...his eyes didn't lie...
While there are many stories spanning many decades...Dad wanted a short service...so I'm going to share a conversation that Dad and I had last year...In March of 74" Dad made a contribution...his father had been a physician and while Dad pursued a career in Engineering and construction he wanted to make his contribution...so he made the commitment to donate his body to science...I tried to talk him out of it...my last effort went something like this..."Dad...don't you think I've made enough contributions in your name..."he softly, but adamantly reminded me "that it was his contribution...not mine"...something that we were proud to honor this week...one last gift from a man who gave more of himself...than he did for himself...Dad was more laid back than I was...probably because he had a couple of years experience on me...he would tell me I needed to be more patient...and often I would hear him say..."Does it really matter"...something we will continue to live by...Take care Dad..."we'll see ya when we see ya," god bless you dad...from all of your family and friends...you touched us all...
jwcIII
No comments:
Post a Comment